Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Album Review: Apocalyptic Love

Photo by Leslie Rowett
Apocalyptic Love” Released May 22, 2012, is described to be a heavy rock album; however blues, alternative and soul are not left out of the mix. This is Slash’s first with album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators.

If like me, you are searching for some variety in music selection and are tired of the hearing the same four songs over and over on the radio (as I ranted about previously in a past blog…), then the following review provides at least one alternative for you!

I CANNOT stop raving about Slash’s new Album “Apocalyptic Love”. Before I continue, I must confess I do hold a strong bias in regards to the artist. As a teenager, I was obsessed with Slash and his work in GN’R, Velvet Revolver and in other solo projects (and I mean OBSESSED – check out the picture of me being a crazy fan). That being said, I am going to try my hardest to provide a review solely based on the music and not my teenage obsession and lust for the man and his music.  

So who’s in the band?
These guys have some tough acts to follow. After all Appetite for Destruction, the CD that brought Slash to fame has gone 18 times Platinum since its release in 1987. But Apocalyptic Love isn’t trying to sound like Slash’s past. Yes the music does spark some nostalgic recollections of Appetite for Destruction, Contraband and even some of Slash’s other solo work. BUT he is not trying re-live his fame or be the musician he was back then. There are modern and unique elements to the album that are VERY unfamiliar to Slash’s previous work. The expression and the love Slash has for his music is evident right from the opening riff of the title song “Apocalyptic Love.”

Slash aside, the band itself is extremely talented. Myles Kennedy has a very unique voice and as the main song writer, has drawn inspiration from his past dealing with drug addiction and heart breaks. There is no doubt expression, passion and pain in the lyrics making the music meaningful.

I’ve seen the band live, they are seriously talented. And I understand the type of music they are making is not very mainstream. The majority of the tracks will never be played on the radio, and if they were, they would receive very little praise or popularity. That being said, I truly think they are producing music that is very unique in today's industry (they have both talent and passion, something I feel is missing from a lot of music these days).

It should not come to a surprise that I give the album a 5/5

Not convinced? Listen to track 8, Anastasia, then let me know what you think.

Photo by Leslie Rowett


No comments:

Post a Comment